Tuesday, May 26, 2009

When I grow up.....

Blogged Challenge #1!

I've recently joined a blog ring, to help keep my blog fresh and (hopefully!) interesting!

The first challenge is:

Challenge 1: When I grow up.A ballerina? A vet? An astronaut? As a small child, what did you dream of becoming? Tell your story, on your own blog, in words, pictures or a combination. The choice is yours. As long or short as you like.


Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. Watching my daughter grow up and wondering who she will turn out to be got me thinking about my childhood and the careers I was so sure I would hold when I 'grew up' (still got some of that to do really....).

First I wanted to be a ballerina, but stumpy little thighs and general lack of coordination scuppered that one. But I tried really, really hard to look the part, and I did love my ballet lessons!

Then it was air hostess, (I'm sure there's a more PC name for them now, but meh), but again, my general stumpiness prevented that one. To this day I have travel reaching the overhead bins!!

The final and most long-held dream in career terms was vet. I love animals and still do, but I hate needles and anything to do with blood (and still do!), so that one was sunk as well.

I guess as a child I really wanted to do something I love, but when I actually started working I fell into a career and learned to love it. However, I do think that underlying all of those things was a theme - to entertain, nurture and make a difference, and I think my 'career' now, of stay at home mummy is the epitome of all those things and what's more, I love it!

The pay in monetary terms is pretty bad, but the joy I get from seeing my daughter's face and hearing her little giggles, watching her learn new things and delighting in the world around her - priceless!

No comments: